Author Topic: Other people's reloads  (Read 908 times)

Bullseye Shooter

• Marksman
Other people's reloads
« on: January 28, 2016, 09:42:53 PM »
Last year at the OKC Games, I won a box of .45 ACP reloads done by one the older shooters that belongs to the OKC Gun Club.  They were 230 grain FMJ "hardball" loads.  I put them away and forgot about them since I make it habit of not shooting other people's reloads.  I got them out yesterday, toying with the idea of shooting them.  Luckily, it did not progress too far.  He had loaded them with 5.4 grains of W231 powder and put on the box that they should be around 775 fps.  I checked several of my reloading manuals and found that 231 was generally recommended for 185 to 200 grain bullets but not the 230's.  Finally, in my copy of Lee's manual I found where they had a load for that bullet using 231.  The max was 5.3 grains at a velocity of 832 fps, which means that 0.1 grain extra probably pushed them up above 860 fps.  Since the military standard hardball load is around 820 fps, I decided the prudent course of action would be to pull the bullets and reuse the cases and bullets with my load, 4.0 grains of Bullseye, a nice pleasant load that shoots well in the "as-issued" CMP matches shot at 25 yards.  I started using the 185 JHP's for the EIC match, since they are allowed now.
To compound the problem with these reloads, I noticed while pulling the bullets, that he did not seat the primers correctly.  They were set even with the back of the case.  I can fix that when I go to reuse the cases.
Daryl
TSRA Pistol Director

Ghillieman

• Marksman
  • Dan Miller
Re: Other people's reloads
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 10:56:47 AM »
Someone's reloads as a prize...
Not a good idea unless they are a bonded and licensed type 6 or type 7 manufacturer.
Good intent, bad judgement.
Dan Miller
Mineola, TX